Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Bit of Background on the Egg

I hate eggs.

Well, that's not entirely true for two reasons. The first is that, on occasion, I do enjoy the white part of a hard boiled egg (not to be mistaken for boiled egg whites, which I do not like). The second falsifying statement is that I am not "hating" anything because of a certain February 1st resolution I made to give up hate and rage. It's only February 2nd and already I feel like this month is going to be longer than the Lent where I gave up chocolate.

But back to my main point: I am not a huge fan of eggs. Why then, one may ask, have I chosen to name my blog after an egg dish? Well that's a great question.
And one to which I really don't have an answer.

Here's the thing--I feel like there is something communal about eggs. Something about the smell of eggs simmering in a frying pan at a dirty, greasy diner gives me that 1950's, Rockwell America image. The idea of scrambled eggs just screams FORUM! to me, and that's what I want this blog to be, a forum of ideas and a place of communal gathering.

Okay, maybe that was taking the Rockwell idea a little too far. But the fact of the matter is that in his article "Start Your Blog in 7 Easy Steps" Andy Hayes says that naming a blog is one of the most important steps, and I want a blog that Andy Hayes would like because he is a writer who gets published in magazines like The Writer and I want to be a writer too, so (gasp for breath here) an egg name seemed like the best way to go.

So I did it. I named my blog The Scrambled Egg.

And then I felt like a poser. Honestly, how am I supposed to portray myself as this witty, straight-shooting blogger when the name of my blog isn't authentic because I don't even like scrambled eggs! It would be like writing under a fake name (okay, granted, that technique worked for Mark Twain and countless other successful authors...) or acting like I know all kinds of great egg recipes for the scrambled egg lovers of the world. And I don't. In fact, most people hate my scrambled eggs.

So that's how I came up with The Poached Omelette. I've never had one, never seen it listed on a greasy diner menu, but I'm pretty sure that if I had the opportunity to try a poached omelette, I'd like it. And, dear reader, that's about as honest as I can get on the subject of egg-dish preferences.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my maiden post. I hope it would make Andy Hayes proud, but mostly I hope it adds a little egg-citment to your day (yeah, that's right, I just did the lame egg joke).

No comments:

Post a Comment