Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

So, last Thursday night the Savannah College of Art and Design hosted a lecture by Stanley Fish (if you find yourself bored by this sentence, it may be in your best interest to skip down a paragraph or two. Or maybe you might want to skip this post. In fact, maybe you should just find a new blog to read)(Just kidding, that was a joke. Mostly).

Dr. Fish is one of those big-shots in the world of academia. He's served as a dean at all kinds of fancy, top-notch schools and runs a blog through the NY Times called the Opinionator. He's an old man, Stanley Fish, and he blogs a whole heck of a lot better than I do. But that's okay.

Anyway, so last Thursday night my professors all but physically force my classmates and me into this lecture. For a while I seriously considered dressing head to toe Jimmy Buffett paraphernalia and wearing some kind of fish hat in honor of the speaker's name, but I couldn't find a hat and I am lazy, and slightly terrified of a certain female professor who was really, really excited about hearing Fish speak, so I didn't.

The lecture was decent. Good ol' Stan started with a fun little anecdote of why he loves the city of Savannah. Apparently a hundred years ago, he and his current wife "ran-away" on a road trip to Savannah for a little romantic weekend. At the time, they were both married to different people. Nice.

So, the point I'm taking forever to get to is that Fish was presenting on this idea of how to construct good, solid sentences. And in the midst of his speech filled with examples of subject/object placement and the advantages of strong verbs over weak adverbs, Fish says something like this:
I love sentences. I keep a list of my favorite sentences and constantly look for new ones to add every day.
Well, what a brilliant idea, Fish! I, too, love sentences. In fact, his speech inspired me to start my own favorite sentence list. Hopefully this inspiration lasts longer than my dream journal phase, or my P-90X kick.

Here it is, folks. Feel free to add your own favorite sentences!

Sentences Amber Loves List

**Note: unlike Fish's favorite sentences list, mine focus less on strong form and perfect grammar, and leans more towards humorous content.

1.) "I am an excellent housekeeping. Every time I get divorced, I keep the house." Zsa Zsa Gabor
2.) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
3.) "Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." Lyndon B. Johnson
4.)I like cats too, let's exchange recipes.
5.) "Cheese… milk's leap toward immortality." Clifton Fadiman
6.)He is not a bad dancer; he is overly Caucasian.
7.) "There were a lot of times when we were alone, but I never really thought we were." Bill Clinton

1 comment:

  1. "It's as timeless as a book can be in our age of volubility."
    -The New York Times, reviewing The Elements of Style.
    Take that, Stanley Fish!

    ReplyDelete